Tag Archives: Nigeria News

President Buhari to appear in office soon Lai, Mohammed.

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has released a statement clarifying his earlier statement on President Buhari working from home. According to Mohammed, President Buhari will be working from home only for today.

In the statement issued in Abuja, the Minister said the President only decided to work from home today, not that he has decided to work from home henceforth.

He said the headlines in a section of the media,

”Buhari to now work from home – Lai Mohammed,” is a misrepresentation of his statement at the briefing. Quoting verbatim the relevant section of his briefing, Mohammed said: ”He (the President) wanted to rest TODAY and he asked the VP to preside over TODAY’S meeting. In addition, he also asked that all his files be taken home to him and he will be working from home TODAY.”

Advertisements

Nigerian Senate Blames Nigerian Police for 2017 Missing Budget

Not very good news as The Senate, on Wednesday, disclosed that the 2017 budget is missing and alleged that the Nigeria Police stole the documents needed to pass the 2017 budget.
The allegations were made following a presentation by the chairman of the Senate Committee on Appropriations, Sen. Danjuma Goje, regarding the invasion of his home last week, by officers of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF).

Goje said the policemen took N18 million, $19,000 and four thousand Saudi Riyadh from his house

“In addition, they also took my laptop and to make matters worse they took 18 files from my office. I am so traumatized now and I don’t know which files is missing, which files is available now. Some of these files have to do with the work I am doing,” Goje said.
“Like I told you, we are holding a meeting on the budget that last Thursday that they came. So from Thursday to now we have not been able to meet because some of the papers are not around, many of us are traumatised, my house as a politician is a beehives of activities; people are coming from all over the country to sympathise with me. I have no time to sit and from today we are trying to start sitting again as appropriation committee to see what we can do with the budget.”
He added: “I want to apologise to my colleagues that we could not keep to the timetable you gave us to lay the budget yesterday (Tuesday) and to get it passed (Wednesday); and I think it is not our own fault, it is the fault of the police because the police interfered with the whole of the budget process and I hope Nigerians will not turn out to blackmail the national assembly because the process were truncated by the police.”
Subsequently, the Upper Legislative Chamber directed the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) , Mr. Ibrahim Idris, to immediately return those documents and a computer which were taken away from the official residence of Sen. Goje. In addition, the Senate also asked the Police to tender a public apology to the National Assembly.
Senate President Bukola Saraki revealed that the Police had informed the Senate Committee on Police Affairs that the operation in Goje’s house was carried out based on a false lead from a whistle blower. He said the Senate would not take that excuse and stated that an immediate official explanation on the operation must be provided to the Senate.
“This matter is very serious, just as Senator Goje has said. It is now over five days with no statement or comments from the Police to tell us why this raid was done or to tell us where these files which are very important to the appropriation process.
“Sadly, I must tell you informally that the chairman of the Police Committee told me this morning (yesterday) that the Police are saying that it has something to do with a whistle blower. If it has to do with a whistle blower, then the whistle blower misled them.
“If a whistle-blower misled them, I think that this matter that has come out publicly like this to embarrass a Senator should be well handled. I think the Police, like in a civilised society, needs to come out and accept responsibility.
“If somebody has given you any wrong informatio, tell the public what you are doing with that person and if it is an intelligence officer that got the house wrong, come out and tell us. For five days now, nothing. I think it is unfortunately.
“I also got an information that the House of Representatives has also set up an adhoc committee on this matter and this committee that is set up should work closely with the House, particularly to ascertain the circumstances surrounding why they went to Senator Goje’s house.
“If truly it was a whistle blower and he gave them wrong information which is what the IG is telling them, what are they doing about that  wrong information? Have they come out to make a public apology for this wrong raid?
“These are issues that the committee would look into and the files that are still in Police custody which Goje has told us is affecting the works before us, also needs to be brought publicly and formally to him because it was taken publicly.”
The Senate announced the establishment of an adhoc committee to begin an immediate investigation into the police operation and also to investigate the alleged assassination attempt of Senator Dino Melaye.
The adhoc committee has Senator Jibril Barau (APC, Kano State) as chairman, also includes Senators Isa Misau (APC, Bauchi State), Chukwuka Utazi (PDP, Enugu), David Umoru (APC, Niger State).
Afterwards, IGP, Ibrahim, met privately with the Senate President, Saraki, supposedly to tender an unofficial apology over the invasion

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo to help fight Hunger and starvation in Nigeria

His excellency, Former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, asks the Ogun state and federal governments to give farmers in the country more support – Obasanjo states that as the chairman of Zero Hunger farmers organisation in Nigeria, it is the resolve of the group to achieve food sufficiency for Nigerians- The former president says farmers could make food available in plenty and affordable to Nigerians if they get encouragement and support of governments.

Former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, has expressed the determination in conjunction with other farmers group to end hunger in the country by 2025.The former president made the resolution and many more on agriculture.

President Buhari May Retain Magu as EFCC chairman

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo says President Muhammadu Buhari does not see any reason to replace Ibrahim Magu, the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial CrimesEFCC).

He said the President does not believe the indictment of Magu by the Department of State Services (DSS) is enough ground to bow to the Senate pressure asking Buhari to consider another candidate for the EFCC Chairmanship position.

The Vice stated this while speaking to newsmen at the presidential villa in Abuja

The Senate had on two different occasions rejected Magu’s confirmation as the substantive Chairman of the anti-graft agency based on the DSS report.

In the report, the secret police labeled  Magu as corrupt and unfit to head the agency.

Osinbajo said after Buhari heard Magu’s side of the story, he believed him and decided to retain him as the nominee for the job.

The Vice President said: “We should commend the president for not interfering with what the DSS said. The DSS came up with a report and the man who was accused refuted it.

“He explains and gives a reason. When that happened, the president looked at what Magu said and what the DSS wrote and he said ‘I am satisfied with what Magu said’.

“He then decided to retain Magu as the nominee for EFCC. I don’t see any reason why that should be contested. The president has not interfered with what the DSS said. If he wanted to interfere, he would have ordered the DSS to keep quiet. He didn’t do that, but he said ‘I don’t think the DSS report is meritorious enough to withdraw his nomination.’

“The president reserves the right to say, ‘this is who I want’. I’m fully in support of Magu as the EFCC chairman just as the president is.”

Osinbajo pointed that lawmakers in developed nations also reject nominees based on reports.

Using the United States as a case study, he said despite the mounting opposition against the nomination of the attorney-general of the US, Jeff Sessions, he is still serving in the administration of President Donald Trump.

“You see the American example… There are various reports. People come up with all sorts of things. Look at Jeff Sessions (US attorney-general) for instance, there were many reports. Some accused him of being racist, some of this and that, but he is in office today,” he said.

Stop Begging In Kano Stop – How Possible ?

Kano State now in a war against beggars. Lol 😁 how possible is this in Kano? For infringing against a law prohibiting street begging, a total of 489 panhandlers were arrested by the Kano State Hisbah Board between the months of February and March 2017.

This is according to Malam Musa Tsangaya, the Head of the board’s Anti-begging Unit who made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

Amongst the offenders, 192 of those arrested were children while 228 were adults, report says.

The remaining nine are reportedly foreigners from Cameroon and Niger Republic respectively.

“Our men arrested the street beggars around France Road, Dangi Junction, Lugard Road, Murtala Mohammed Way and Magwan Junction violating the law banning street begging in Kano metropolis,” Tsangaya confirmed.

For infringing against a law prohibiting street begging, a total of 489 panhandlers were arrested by the Kano State Hisbah Board between the months of February and March 2017.

This is according to Malam Musa Tsangaya, the Head of the board’s Anti-begging Unit who made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

Amongst the offenders, 192 of those arrested were children while 228 were adults, report says.

The remaining nine are reportedly foreigners from Cameroon and Niger Republic respectively.

“Our men arrested the street beggars around France Road, Dangi Junction, Lugard Road, Murtala Mohammed Way and Magwan Junction violating the law banning street begging in Kano metropolis,” Tsangaya confirmed.